Main Article Content
The study examined the Principals’ assessment on the influence of ranking in determining performance in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education in Homa-Bay County of Kenya. This study used concurrent triangulation design. For this study, the researcher used saturated sampling technique to select all the 199 principals and stratified random sampling technique to select 60 BOM Chairpersons,60 Parents Association Chairpersons and 120 Student Leaders. The study used Questionnaires for the Principals, Interview Schedules for BOM Chairpersons and Focus Group Discussion for Parents Association Chairpersons and Student Leaders and document analysis guide. The quantitative data analysis relied upon the tools of both descriptive and correlation research designs. Qualitative data was derived from interview notes, written expressions and opinions by the respondents in the questionnaires and document analysis guide. The finding shows that there was a statistically significant positive correlation between principals’ assessment on the influence of ranking and performance in KCSE (r=.360, n=168, p<0.05) among secondary schools. There is need to update the BOM Chairpersons on their roles as stakeholders on KCSE performance on their various schools.
Warmington P, Murphy KT. Read all about it.UK news media coverage of A-level results.Policy futures in education. London Routledge; 2004.
Peabody Z. State may lower HISD rating: Almost 3000 dropouts miscounted.Houstone Chronicle University of Carlifornia-San Diego; 2003.
Bogonko S. A history of modern Education in Kenya (1895-1991). Nairobi: Evans Brothers; 1992.
Eshiwani G. Education in Kenya since Independence. East African Educational Publishers, Nairobi; 1993.
Ertac YK. Experience with Supervision system. Armsterdam: Kohnstamm Instituut; 2005.
Drysdale L, Goode H, Gurr D. An Australian model of successful school leadership: moving from success to sustainability. Societies. 2009;5:136–150. DOI:10.3390/soc5010136.
Møller J, Vedøy G, Presthus AM, Skedsmo G. Successful principalship in Norway: Sustainable ethos and incremental changes? Journal of Educational Administration. 2009;47(6):731-741. DOI:10.1108/09578230910993113.
Riahani. An Indonesian model of successful school leadership. Journal of Educational Administration. 2008;46(4): 481-496. DOI:10.1108/09578230810882018
Day C. What being a successful principal really means: An international perspective? Educational Leadership and Administration. 2009;19:13-27.
John SJ. Competing in Capabilities: An Informal Overview; 2005. Available:https://personal.lse.ac.uk/sutton/competing_capabilities_informal_washington.pdf
Morris W. Why leaders can’t lead: The Unconscious Conspiracy Continues. Francisco: Jossey-Bass; 2000.
Dulfer NP. The experience of education. The Impact of high stakes testing on school students and their families; 2012. Available:https://www.whitlam.org/publications/2017/10/17/the-experience-of-education-the-impacts-of-high-stakes-testing-on-school-students-and-their-families
Banaji MG, Greenwald P, Nosek W. Math 5 male, 5 femaleS, Therefore math 61/4 me. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology. 2002;83,:44-59.
Emmelot YK. Experience with the new Supervision system. Armsterdam: SCO/Kohnstamm Instituut; 2004.
Koning P. Ranking the schools: how quality information affects school choice in the Netherlands. Den Haag:CBP Netherland’s; 2010.
Waterreus JM. Lessons in teacher pay: studies on incentives and the labor market for teachers. Thela Thesis. University of Amsterdam; 2003.
Jiminez E, Lockheed L. Enhancing girls’ learning through single sex Education Evidence and a policy Conundrum. Educational Evaluation and Policy Analysis 2000;11(2).
Rahman F, Khalil P, Jumani W, Ajmal R, Malik B, Sharif R. Impact of discussion method on students’ performance. International Journal of Business and Social Science. 2010;2(7):84-94.
Suleman Q, Hussain B. Effects of classroom physical environment on the academic achievement scores of secondary school students in Kohat Division,Pakistan. International Journal of Learning & Development. 2014; 4(1).
Waweru S, Nyagosia P. Utilization of allocated time academic achieve ment.a survey of secondary students in Kenya. International Journal of Educational and Research. 2013;1(6):128-134.
Sang C. Effect of classroom environment on academic performance in mathematics of preschool children in pioneer zone, Uasin Gishu County, Kenya; 2013. Available:http://erepository.uonbi.ac.ke/handle/11295/52362
Ongong’a JO, Okwara MO, Okello TM. Sports and secondary school Education in Kenya. Educational Research. 2010;1(11): 609-617.
Creswell JW. Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage; 2007.
Orodho JA. Elements of education and social research methods. Nairobi: Masola Publishers; 2004.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Jeniffer Apondi Andedo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Principals’ Attitude and Creation of Professional Learning Communities in Selected Kenyan Secondary Schools , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Everlyne Atieno Mito, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Reward and Implementation of Teacher Performance Appraisal and Development Policy in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Hezron Barkey Oyolla, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Influence of Support Staff Promotional Opportunities on Learners’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]
- Hezron Barkey Oyolla, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Relationship between Support Staff Recognition Efforts and Learners’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]
- Everlyne Atieno Mito, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Teacher Training and Implementation of Teacher Performance Appraisal and Development Policy in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya , Asian Basic and Applied Research Journal: 2021 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Jeniffer Apondi Andedo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Influence of Principals’ Professional Training on Creating Professional Learning Communities in Selected Kenyan Secondary Schools , Asian Basic and Applied Research Journal: 2021 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Leah Adongo Odhiambo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Student Leadership Assessment of Ranking Students and Its Influence in Determining Performance in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 2]