Main Article Content
The shortage of digital infrastructures across Nigeria and the expected impact on the output of goods and services demanded this study. This study aims to identify the effect of digital finance on Nigerian gross domestic product. The study measures the prevailing impact of digital finance on economic growth in Nigeria. The variables employed in this study were ATM, POS and NIP extracted from the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) website between 2012 and 2017 and computed quarterly as exposed influences on the gross domestic product in the Nigerian economy. The Philips-Perron unit root and Granger Causality tests were applied. The results of the Philips-Perron unit root test were stationary at their first level difference. Furthermore, the results of the Granger Causality indicate no causal significant impact of digital finance channels of ATM, POS and NIP on the gross domestic product in the Nigerian economy. The study then concluded that ATM, POS and NIP did not constitute the significant digital finance channels policy to promote the gross domestic product in the Nigerian economy, hence they operate independently. The investigation spotted inadequate provision of digital infrastructure, security challenges and poor attention to Research and Development as likely issues affecting the growth of the digital finance environment. The study recommends that the banking sector and the network providers should spread the digital infrastructures and ATM outlets even in the rural areas and further create public awareness with the help of security personnel in all relevant flashpoints.
Laura T, Susan L. The promise of digital finance. The European Financial Review; 2017.
Huma H. Innovative financial technology to support livelihoods and Economic outcomes. Independent Consultant; 2018.
Achral H. E-Finance, entrepreneurship & economic growth in developing countries. Master Essay in Economics, Souderton University; 2018.
Gretta S. Financial inclusion and growth. The Business and Management Review. 2017;8(4).
Eleanor L. The future is mobile: Financial inclusion and technological innovation in the emerging World. Stanford Journal of Law, Business & Finance. 2017;23(1).
Manyika J, et al. How digital finance could boost growth in emerging economies. McKinsey Global Institute; 2016.
Shofawati A. The role of digital finance to strengthen financial inclusion and growth in SME in Indonesia. The 2nd International Conference of Islamic Economics, Business and Philanthropy (ICIEBP); 2019.
Ozili PK. Impact of digital finance on financial inclusion and stability. Borsa Istanbul Review. 2018;18(4).
Masoud N, Hardaker G. The impact of financial development on economic growth. Studies in Economics and Finance; 2012.
Evan G, Federico L, Ross PB. Regulating digital financial agents in developing countries to promote financial inclusion. Singapore Journal of Legal Studies; 2015.
Karlan D, et al. Research and impacts of digital financial services. The National Bureau of Economic Research; 2016.
Bigirimana M, Hongyi X. Research on the relationship between financial inclusion and economic growth of Rwanda: Evidence from Commercial Banks with ARDL approach. International Journal of Innovation and Economic Development. 2018;4(1).
Koop G. Analysis of Economic Data. Wiley, 4th Ed; 2013.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Suoye Igoni, J. U. J. Onwumere, Praise Woroma Amaewhule, Digital Currency and Monetary Policy in the South African Economy: Praxis of Financial Dualism and Suggestion for Nigerians , Asian Journal of Economics, Finance and Management: 2020 - Volume 2 [Issue 1]
- Suoye Igoni, Lucky Orlu, Ucheoma. I. Ezirim, Symbiotic Disclosure of Real Sector and Financial Sector: Evidence in Nigerian GDP and Stock Market Capitalization , Asian Journal of Economics, Finance and Management: 2020 - Volume 2 [Issue 2]
- Suoye Igoni, Ebi R. Odi, Chuke E. Nwude, The Demand Following Function of Insurance Investments on Nigerian Economic Growth: A Paradox Manifest , Asian Journal of Economics, Finance and Management: 2020 - Volume 2 [Issue 3]
- Kingsley Mevrabor Akpeghughu, Suoye Igoni, Effect of Pension Contributory Funds on Economic Development in Nigeria , Asian Journal of Economics, Finance and Management: 2021 - Volume 3 [Issue 3]
- Tunde G. Monogbe, Chinonye Gift Igoni, Suoye Igoni, Managing Financial Inclusion Strategies and Economic Stimulation Effect in Nigeria within the COVID-19 Era , Asian Research Journal of Current Science: 2021 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]