Main Article Content
The present study examined the relationship between teacher training and the implementation of Teacher Performance appraisal and development policy in public secondary schools in Kenya. The study employed the use of Convergent parallel research design. The population target included 48 principals, 48 deputy principals, 727 teachers in public secondary schools,1 District Quality Assurance & Standards Officer (DQASO) and 1 TSC Sub-County director. A sample size of 43 Principals, 43 Deputy-Principals, 218 teachers, 1 DQASO and 1 TSC Sub-County Director were selected. Validity of the instruments was ensured through scrutiny of the items in the instruments by the two supervisors from the School of Education. Bartlett’s test for Sphericity are significant (p<0.001, p=0.000) and Kaiser-Meyer-hold Olkin indexes are all > .6 for all the subscales of the questionnaire. Reliability was tested through Cronbach’s alpha and an alpha value of 0.700 was reported. The findings of Linear Regression analysis revealed that teacher training accounted for 22.1%, as signified by Adjusted R2=.221, of the variation of implementation of teacher performance appraisal and development policy among the secondary schools. The Ministry of Education in Kenya should enhance sensitization among school principals on the implementation of the performance appraisal policy in enhancing teacher performance.
Seldon S, Sowa J. Performance Management and appraisal in Human Service Organization. Management staff perspectives. Public Personnel Management. 2011;40 (3):25 –264.
Zbar V, Marshall G, Power P. Better schools, better teachers, better results: A handbook for improved performance management in your school. Melbourne, Vic.: Australian Council for Educational Research; 2007.
Greenberg C. Performance appraisal and management: the developing research agenda. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology. 2006;74:473-487.
Armstrong M, Baron A. Managing performance: Performance management in action, CIPD, London; 2005.
Dessler G. Human resource management. (12th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education, Inc; 2011.
Kuvaas B. Different Relationships between Perceptions of Developmental Performance Appraisal and Work Performance; Personnel Review. 2007;36.
Cascio WF. Managing human resources: Productivity, quality of work life, profits (8th ed.). McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York; 2010.
Robbins SP. Organisational Behaviours, (10th ed.). India: Prentice Hall; 2003.
Namuddu J. Staff appraisal systems and teacher performance at Agakhan Schools in Kampala District. Unpublished masters thesis for masters’ degree in Educational Administration in Makarere University; 2010.
Berman PL. Appraisal systems for effective organisations: Prentice Hall, India; 2005.
Assish Jugmohun. Factors that influence the effectiveness of performance management system adoption in organisation. Global Journal of Human Resource Management. 2018;6(1):51-66.
Gudyanga E, Shumba P, Wadesongo N. An analysis of performance appraisal system in Shurugwi District Day Secondary Schools. Faculty of Education, Zimbabwe University of Fort Harare, Houghton Mifflin; 2014.
Retrieved on 30/10/201.8
Falola H. Osibanjo AO, Ojo SI. Effectiveness of training and development on employees’ performance and organization competitiveness in the nigerian banking industry. Series V: Economic Sciences. 2014;7(56)1:161-171.
Akinyele S. Performance appraisal in Private Universities in Nigeria. Global Journal of Management and Research. 2010;10(6):20-30.
Kohli ASD. Perfomance Management. New Delhi: India; 2009.
Allube F. Factors Influencing the Implementation of the Teacher Performance System: A case study of public secondary schools in Westlands constituency in Kenya. Unpublished masters thesis, University of Nairobi; 2015.
Watuma BW. Assessment of factors affecting implementation of performance appraisal In National Bank of Kenya. Published Dissertation of Master of Human Resource Management, the Open University of Tanzania; 2017.
Stangor C. Research Methods for the Behavioral Sciences. Boston; 2008.
Creswell. Educational research. Planning, Conducting and Evaluating. Emerald Group Publishing Limited; 2014.
Lutwama GW, Roos JH, Dolamo LB. Ssessing the implementation of performance management of health care workers in Uganda. BMC Health Services Research. 2013;13:355.
Onyango BA. Factors affecting employee perception of performance appraisal process at national housing corporation. Master of Business Administration, School of Business, University of Nairobi; 2013.
Most read articles by the same author(s)
- Jeniffer Apondi Andedo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Principals’ Attitude and Creation of Professional Learning Communities in Selected Kenyan Secondary Schools , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Everlyne Atieno Mito, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Reward and Implementation of Teacher Performance Appraisal and Development Policy in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2020 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Hezron Barkey Oyolla, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Influence of Support Staff Promotional Opportunities on Learners’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]
- Hezron Barkey Oyolla, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Relationship between Support Staff Recognition Efforts and Learners’ Academic Performance in Public Secondary Schools in Kenya , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 1]
- Jeniffer Apondi Andedo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Influence of Principals’ Professional Training on Creating Professional Learning Communities in Selected Kenyan Secondary Schools , Asian Basic and Applied Research Journal: 2021 - Volume 3 [Issue 1]
- Leah Adongo Odhiambo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Principals’ Assessment of Ranking Students and Influence in Determining Performance in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 2]
- Leah Adongo Odhiambo, Jack Odongo Ajowi, Peter J. O. Aloka, Student Leadership Assessment of Ranking Students and Its Influence in Determining Performance in Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) , Asian Journal of Sociological Research: 2021 - Volume 4 [Issue 2]